City of West Plains: Halloween Will Always Be Observed on October 31
Although the City of West Plains receives numerous inquiries each Fall on what day Halloween will be observed, the City would like to let the public know it will always be observed on October 31. The City does not have the authority or the desire to change the day for Halloween or trick or treating.
The West Plains Police Department, however, recommends that those wishing to trick-or-treat do so between the hours of 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Halloween day.
The Police Department would also like to pass along the following Halloween safety tips:
- Cross streets at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks. Look left, right, and left again when crossing and keep looking as you cross.
- Put electronic devices down, keep heads up and walk, and do not run across the street.
- Teach children to make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible. Children should walk on direct routes with the fewest street crossings. Watch for cars that are turning or backing up. Teach children to never dart out into the street or cross between parked cars.
- Join kids under the age of 12 for trick-or-treating. If kids are mature enough to be out without supervision, tell them to stick to familiar areas that are well lit and trick-or-treat in groups.
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers and, if possible, choose light colors.
- Choose face paint and makeup whenever possible instead of masks, which can obstruct a child’s vision.
- Have kids carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
- When selecting a costume, make sure it is the right size to prevent trips and falls.
- Slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods. Children are excited on Halloween and may move in unpredictable ways.
The West Plains Police Department will have a large presence in the community over the Halloween weekend and encourages everyone to report any suspicious activity by calling 256-2244.