The City of West Plains will host its annual city-wide clean-up the week of April 26-30. The event will occur on customers’ normal trash pick-up day. This annual event gives residents an opportunity to clean up around their property and have most of the items hauled away free of charge. The Sanitation Department is asking that waste be separated into five categories:
- Regular refuse, including extra bagged or boxed trash;
- Larger items like furniture and mattresses, which should be sealed with plastic and duct tape;
- Metals and white goods such as washers, dryers, stoves, etc. (Refrigerators and freezers with compressors must have a certification provided by a licensed technician the Freon has been removed before it will be collected.);
- Yard waste such as bagged leaves and grass clippings. (Brush will not be collected curbside but may be dropped off at the Transfer Station, 1851 Old Airport Road, Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. clean-up week only free of charge.); and
- Recyclable items, which should be placed in or near the City furnished red bins.
To have tires picked up please call the Sanitation Department, 417-255-2330 or City Hall, 417-256-7170 and leave your name and address. Customers will be billed $2 for each passenger tire and $3 for each passenger tire on a rim.
“We ask your patience and cooperation during this time. It is our busiest week of the year and we pick up a lot of extra waste. Please remember to prevent our city employees from being injured to label and box all broken glass and have any small clean-up items bagged or boxed. We will not be able to collect waste that may be hazardous including asbestos, waste from major demolition or renovation jobs and items piled onto trailers or trucks,” Brent Lidgard Sanitation Supervisor stated.
For more information, questions, or to have a recycle bin delivered to your home call the Sanitation Department.